Monday, March 22, 2010

hello it's me - or at least this part.



I've decided to start writing on this blog again. Not sure how comfortable I am with all of it, but I'll try.

Lots of unsavory, unwelcome twists of fate and circumstance seem to come about here on the interwebs. A writer needs to be careful what they say, unless of course they have incredibly thick skins or just don't give a rats. Its interesting. I savor reading the slings and arrows of complete strangers who are interesting, or have an interesting writing style.

Everything needs to be so sanitary in the current online climate. I mean, I could go on and on about my personal life/problems/issues and maybe I should, but the Irisher in me won't let me anymore. I sweep it under the rug. Who's business is it anyway?

Conversely, the web has become a small community for me. My Fotolog friends, my Flickr friends, my Facebook friends. I work for a website. I think its shocking or maybe its my age, but I'm not comfortable with my workplace HR department checking out potential employees online personas -- to make sure they are 'stars'. Ew.

Maybe I don't 'get it' anymore? My life has so many facets that integrating an online persona into my real-life LIFE for the sake of judgment of fitness for new employment just seems wrong. You could never know all about Angela from my online persona! Bring me in and talk to me, let me talk to my potential manager and colleagues! Sneaking around online -- ugh. Do resumes and phone calls not work anymore? Letters of reference? Do you really want to hire someone who is sneaking around behind their current employers backs to find another job anyway? What goes around comes around!

Am I naive, out-of-touch or clinging to tired methods? What do you think of this new-age internet spy practice?

No comments:

Post a Comment